Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Speed

I love my bike. A lot. Maybe more than a lot of people in this world. This is the closest I can get to being materialistic. But all of us who own a bike would agree. It’s different.

She helps me a lot. My unicorn 150. whenever I am stressed, or depressed or just plain confused. I feel like for a long ride. On the highway. I have to then cut down other costs which are obviously directed towards fuel. But that’s ok.

There was no one at home that night. The air was still and there was no unnecessary breeze. It was 1 a.m. and the neighbours were asleep as well. Not a sound. Perfect. I went down, tied pieces of torn cloth to the grip handle. Increased the revolutions per minute by 1000 rpm. (it can be done by loosening a small screw located to the right, just near the engine where the kick start pedal ends.) I got on top and kicked. Unicorns don’ t make any noise but in that uncomfortable silence of the night in the parking lot, it seemed to roar. I killed the engine. Lights. Check. Rear brake. Check. Disc brake. Check. Dippers. Check. Indicators. Check. Mirror positioning. Check. Fuel on. Check. Fuel level. Check. All set. Ready to go.

Kick. Raw rumbling sound of the engine. Clutch. Gear pedal down. Gear 1. go!!!
Clutch, shift gear pedal up, gear 2…shift gear 3….and I was off.

As I descended the hill and on to the highway, I thought whether I should be doing this.
If I was right in doing this. It was not about the risk of getting hurt that was worrying me. It was the risk of getting caught. And be grounded for an indefinite amount of time.
That too without the bike. That part was scary.

The western express highway is particularly dangerous after 2a.m. nearly all the drivers are drunk and no one drives below 100 km/ hr. A breeze started to blow. A steady cold breeze. I was riding against it. It seeped in through the visor screen and was right into my face. I put on full throttle. 45km/hr. 55 km/hr. 70 km/ hr 85 km/ hr….now it gets dangerous as any sudden movement or anything relatively close to that would result in a one way ride to you know where. 95 km/hr. my shirt was going to be blown away. 105 km/ hr. this is the highest I have been so far… the bike starts vibrating and curves slightly to the left on going above this.. I felt like God..Riding at 105 km/hr in the middle of the night. I felt ecstatic. Free. Out of control. Crazy. And I loved myself for it. And I loved my bike even more.

The lights appeared and went in a daze. It was still on full throttle. The bike swayed dangerously each time the speed increased. Not that I cared. Every time I accelerated, I felt this catch in the region just below the solar plexus and above the stomach. A sharp hollow feeling. Adrenaline pumping. The pulse rate quickened. The feeling persisted till the acceleration was on.

The t shirt collar flapped rapidly at my neck as I cut through the wind and further towards Andheri.
I wished I had a jacket on, I thought bluntly as I sped through the occasionally present mist in between flyovers. It is an interesting thing to notice how the air becomes suddenly damp and moist and cold and again becomes dry a minute later. It feels as if there are patches of different air columns present stationary as I cut through them.

I let go off the throttle as I neared Andheri. The speed lessened as I decremented the gear shift till it reduced to 2. I still wished my bike had a 6th gear. Life would have been so much better. I took a u turn at Andheri junction and proceeded towards home. Even with the helmet on my ears had gone cold. It was a cold November morning. as I reached Goregaon I began to feel good about the little excursion I had. In 10 minutes I pulled into the parking lot. The watchmen had made a primitive fire for themselves about which they had gathered around, playing teen patti. The meter said 9174…I had ridden 26 kilometres. 30 rupees well saved and spent. I felt good about myself. There was nothing in my head. A mind devoid of thoughts. I could feel the blood rushing to the brain as I recalled 105km/hr feeling. My stomach churned and my head started beating. I smiled. Quietly I crept to my second floor apartment and unlocked the door. I hoped the neighbours wouldn’t hear me and luckily they didn’t. my head swayed as I lied down on the floor. I smiled again. Maybe this is what being high feels like, I thought, amused.


(p.s.: I do not in any way, from this post, encourage anyone to ride or drive at night or speed above 70 km/hr. trust me it is highly dangerous. Only a stupid dumbfuck like me can be foolish enough to carry out something like that. Also try avoiding writing such articles especially when your mother uses the pc often. Because unknowingly you will be foolish enough to write such an article and save it on the desktop, thus making it available for everyone to read.>> I had to hear a lot that day. Especially since the accident I recently had..details later…amen)

26 comments:

pratap said...

aah stud boy

meena kumari said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Goswami said...

dude drive slow. "ye speed ka chaska bahut khatarnaak hota hai".

Madhubala said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
anand said...

never really understood what kind of "high" ppl get driving at life threatening speed.PSEUDO-HERO-GIRI and nothing else.
all i can say is drive safe my friend.

Sanket said...

Dude people will keep talking about pseudo hero-giri and all.Trust me, sometimes you just like speed. There's no harm in it just that you should know how to recover from a worst case skid or from some stupid mistake made by drunken drivers around at night. Speed thrills me too. Wish my bike could reach the 100kmph barrier.Keep cruising..

anand said...

@sanket
should know how to recover from worst case skid?plz elaborate.

Dimple Nangia said...

Ride safe Yugandhar!!

Lovely detailed stuff.

Hot babe for you said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Amey said...

Finally for once u stopped thinking and did it....................btw whose da anonfan

el_idioto said...

now i'm not a bike rider yet! but i do have tasted my share of speed in cars... mostly thanks to the rich and spoiled friends... feel so lucky... and even though it dangerous (i've slipped and done unwanted doughnuts a few times) it still feels good.. its so addictive

K.G. said...

its stupid ... but sometimes doing stupid things feels good ... :P .... drive safe biatch .....

iloveyugi said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Wanderer said...

i can totally understand this crazy love. i have friends who have named their bikes and all that kinda nonsense. all i can say, outa my lil experience on the bike, at a 3 digit speed, life is heaven!
still, drive safe. good bikers dont get hurt..haha

Gaurav DobhaL said...

Well i do remember you telling me abt this, and that your mom found out abt it. Firstly.. Never leave such stuff on the desktop.Idiot. And secondly.. Eventhough i completely admire your love for it, I'm mmm not really in support of such crazy stuff..however passionate you are about it..There are certain things above pleasure. So please take care my friend..
But then hey..needn't stop writing about your stud-giri..seems to work on Madhubala and co.

yugandhar said...

@ptap: stud nahi re..mebbe if u get a bike u ll understand...

@gogo: lol..considering ur latest experience i would tend to agree..(for details read his blog)

@markande: sarjii,,..i agree with you...but you also have to agree with me tht sometimes u luv urself for the stupid things u do...


@sanket: i knew u wud get it perfectly...only a rider can understan wat another rider is saying...

@dimple: haan re meri maa! :))

@amey: yus...felt gud abt doin it n not thinkin much abt it/...


@rishi...cars are uch safer my friend...a speeding car is better
controlled than a bike...but yes i do agree..speed is addictive...


@karan....i think u understood best wat i meant...peace bro!!



@kirti...yus ...another supporter..btw i wasnt hurt cos of a mistake...it wasnt my fault!!:X

@dobhal...yus i agree completely...lol

Anonymous said...

Well written.very descriptive.speed does thrill a lot f ppl.n i feel it is fine to some extent if one is confident (nd nt just 'actin' confident n responsible) nd riding on an empty road. but at 1 a.m. in mumbai chances r u'll find quite a few ppl walking by the roadside or crossing the roads.risking someone else's life along with ur own - not a very pleasing thought.nevertheless, a good post my friend.waiting 2 read ur next(plz plz :)))
-ashwathi.

daler mehndi said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
yugandhar said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
K.G. said...

\m/

losin_my_soul said...

aaahhhhh!!!! my hero!!!
wish i had a bike too.. atleast then i'd then have a way to put those poor bastards on the roads out their misery...

P.S: May God have mercy on the poor dogs and panthers roaming the streets of goregaon. May their souls rest in peace.Amen.

Rashmi Nambiar said...

nice read

Rohit said...

9174 already? where did you take your bike? IEEE Trip???

akshay hegiste said...

yugandhar n his bike...i m sure der are many more interesting incidents to come...pls do write abt dem!!!

"I still wished my bike had a 6th gear. Life would have been so much better."-totally agree vt u!!!

Gurtej said...

yugi... do u go to these speeds only when u r riding solo ??? neways good post... just make sure you dont break ur head while doing so... ride safe

Ashmita said...

Went through a lot of stuff.
You have a very good knack of describing stuff , boy.
The description part of things kept me more enthralled than the story itself, in more than one post.

Keep blogging ya
Shall keep coming back :)