Saturday, January 24, 2009

A Sunday Afternoon

::(post dates back long....around three months.)


I sat there. Staring. Fixedly in front of me. Out of the window. Where two small boys played with a Frisbee. The loud chatter. The laughs. The fun. I was perhaps more jealous than envious. A warm Sunday afternoon and these children played carelessly. Laughed effortlessly. Ran the whole stretch not thinking about any projects. Or assignments. Or journals. Or presentations. Or submissions. Not worried about their future decisions. Ignorant of the challenges ahead. Swallowing all envy, I got up. Rinsed my face with cold water. And stood in front of the mirror. A pair of tired red eyes stared back at me. The haggard face showed signs of unnecessary overwork. The wrinkled, unshaven face depicted an identity of a person torn between career decisions, managing relationships and building a place for himself in this huge world. I looked away and stood in front of the window. A soft breeze went past, teasing my face and hair. Inviting me. Telling me that nature is waiting. For me. Telling me to break all bonds and shackles. To be free. Like those two children.



The wind picked up speed. Windows banged against their sills, dried leaves leapt in the air. The trees swayed joyfully as I looked up at the slowly darkening sky. The children also looked up amused at the sight of their Frisbee going longer and higher in the wind. Thunder struck but the childrens’ cries of joy was louder. As the drops fell, their dance began. They sang a popular Hindi song as they continued dancing, drenching themselves. Everyone else ran for shelter. Except those two. All I could do at that moment was smile. I went down and took a long walk. The rain fell harder. Drenching my clothes, my body, and then my thoughts. It was as if mother nature was washing the negativity off me. I walked up to the hill and sat on a bench. The noises of the children were still louder than the rain. How I wished to go back in time. To be that same kid. Once again. A shout interrupted my thoughts. I smiled to see a few people getting their hands on a football. I didn’t know anyone. And later, I realized that they didn’t know each other either. But the silly game of football that followed in that small space of the parking lot was enough to change my mood completely. The silliest of jokes, the horrible barefoot play, the slipping, the laughing, the continuous swearing for the ball. A enjoyed every bit of it. Only once did I gaze up to see on the 1st floor, the same two children being reprimanded by their mother. Maybe for playing in the rain. I smiled. Just then I got the ball and scored. I looked up to celebrate with the smiling unknown people which I had met just an hour ago. I smiled again.

14 comments:

Dimple Nangia said...

brilliant stuff, yug.
yeah even i hope i could go back to be a kid.. for one day.. i could be as careless and as free.. really envious of the kids in my building who play downstairs every evening..

i get some peace in the noise they make.. if that makes any sense!

but yeah, i guess we do have a choice. to move forward. to just not care and do what we feel like.

and i loved the part about the rain washing away your thoughts and negativity :D

Brett said...

For some reason Kids playing downstairs nowadays really annoy me. Maybe its envy.
Or maybe I've just forgotten how that felt.
We should play football in college more often this sem.
Nice job.

malpani.!! said...

great writing man!!..
awesome stuff..
m checkin ur blog first time today.. its nice!!

anand said...

beautifully done sirji.."laughed effortlessly",i wonder when was the last time i did that.makes me think where we lost all that innocence,that carelessness?

excellent stuff..and finally its nice to see the bigman update his blog.

Anonymous said...

nice post....but i am waiting for something better to come :)

pratap kaul said...

salaam.mr. short sentence.good post.welcome back.wanrt more.soon.god bless.get hitched.you're there.peace.cheers!

yugandhar said...

@dimple...yes i agree comltetly...and i knew u would say this..peace

@brett...motion recognised and would be implemented...football every week...yes we can!!

@prateek...welcome to blogosphere!!!

@goga...well this was a thanda post compared to last time...will try better next time...


@anand...yes mr.markande..we ve really become someone else...lets try to get back our innocence

@ptapan...am loving the style of short sentences...ahem ahem..wat do u mean hitched? sorry dude...didn't get that...

Gaurav DobhaL said...

beautiful post yugandhar. Short yes, but effective..true the age was such. What's even more interesting is the fact that they don't realize what this freedom's like. Or how long it shall last before they dive into this competitive world..which never ends. That's the beauty of this age. breeze like..
great stuff...my first step into your world too..enjoyed it thoroughly:)..waiting for more

Unknown said...

Super kewl stuff..there's nthng lyk childhood..it's so unfortunate that we grow up..tghats the power of tym..rly wish i cud go back in tym..rly echo my sentiments..

an ordinary man said...

gr8 post dude...i think this is wat we will always long for.The rat race has killed the childhood in us...really wish to turn back time.

Sanket said...

Fast pace of life has made things interesting, but at the same time, as you observed, small things around you bring you great joy if you slow down a bit and enjoy all that surrounds you at the moment.

losin_my_soul said...

lovely again... ur improving man...

omkar said...

hey dude...simple but beautiful peace of writin man...i cud actually imagine a group of unknown people playin 2gether...very effective man..gr8 stuff...

Gurtej said...

yaar.. i absolutely love your style of writing... urs is one blog where i enjoy every post without having to wrack my brains. a very simple yet effective style of writing. thats what sets you apart from others. ne time u decide to write a book... consider one copy sold... lovely yaar